This vanilla cupcake is my husband’s favourite since there’s a bit of lemon zest in it. I quite like it too since it’s very light .
Vanilla cupcake (makes 12 cupcakes)
- 150g unsalted butter
- 160g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 160g self raising flour
- 100g plain flour
- 200ml milk
- Preheat the oven 180C
- Beat the butter, vegetable oil, sugar, vanilla and lemon zest with electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at the time, beating well after each addition
- Sift the flour together. Using the wooden spoon, fold the flour and milk alternately into the creamed mixture
- Spoon into the paper case and bake for 20-25 min or until a skewer comes out clean
- Leave in the tray for 5 min before turning out onto the wire rack.
- 250g unsalted butter
- 125g pure icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tsp milk
- Beat the butter with electric mixer until light and creamy
- Gradually add the sifted icing sugar alternately with vanilla essence and milk beating until smooth and fluffy
Pipe the buttercream using star or round nozzle.
You can also use white chocolate buttercream which you can find it here http://blog.macake.com.au/2010/06/red-velvet-cupcake-recipe/ instead of vanilla buttercream.. So the choice is yours..